Madrid to Bilbao
We kick start this most awesome 9 Day Northern Spain Adventure in the heartland of Madrid, saturated with cultural diversity and busy nightlife before heading to the northern beach cities of Bilbao and San Sebastian for a truly unique Basque Country experience. You’ll meet your fellow U.Travellers and U.Guide and if there is time in your day, we suggest heading out to explore the sights of Madrid on foot.
We complement the hustle and bustle of Madrid in the quite relaxing regions of Asturias and the Basque Country. Be active and explore Picos de Europa National Park or relax on the golden beaches of Bilbao and San Sebastian. Learn to surf, go wine tasting and enjoy an immensely satisfying hike, the Ruta del Cares, which is considered Spain’s best 1-day hike, connecting Poncebos with Caín in León. We then make our way to Bilbao where we can soak in the Basque Country culture at the Guggenheim Museum and the Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao. Plenty of free time lets you explore Casco Viejo (Old Town) and wander around the many Bridges of Bilbao or sample Pintxos in the Plaza Nueva!
- Explore the cultural diversity and busy nightlife of Madrid
- Be active and explore Picos de Europa National Park
- Relax on the golden beaches of Bilbao and San Sebastian
- Learn to surf, go wine tasting and enjoy the Ruta del Cares hike
- Visit Guggenheim Museum and the Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao
- Wander around the many bridges of Bilbao and explore Casco Viejo
San Sebastian to Madrid
In the second part of this trip, we’ll immerse ourselves further in Basque Country culture before heading back for a touch of city culture in Barcelona. Our trip moves east along the coastline to the beautiful beaches and metropolitan city of San Sebastian. Probably one of the most interesting places in Spain, the Basque Country has seen independent historical and socio-political development which is reflected in the language and expressed in its unique cuisine, the arts and architecture. We spend some time exploring the hugely fun and very memorable coastline and cities – from active surf lessons to tapas tasting evenings.
From here we train to Barcelona for a ‘city break’. We’ll take to the streets with your U. Guide and explore the inner city and Mediterranean harbourside, the 5 connected avenues which make up La Rambla, the incredible Basilica of the Sagrada Familia (which took longer to complete than the Egyptian Pyramids), eat from fresh food markets and enjoy the onset of dusk with sangria by the beach!
We then head back to the autonomous region of Madrid, the second-largest city in the EU by both geographical spread and population to connect with your onward bound journeys.
- Explore the fun and memorable coastline and cities
- Visit the historical and architectural city of San Sebastian
- Discover all the best Barcelona has to offer – La Rambla, La Sagrada Familia, etc.
- Eat from fresh food markets and enjoy a glass of Sangria by the beach
- End the trip back to Madrid